Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn


What can I really say about Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn that hasn't been written a billion times already, given how insanely popular this book was? But after so many recommendations, I too had to pick it up. I actually read this about a year ago and it was definitely one of the books that rekindled my love of suspense thrillers, a genre I have continued to reach for about once a month in the time since.

In terms of the book itself, I thought the writing was flawless and it easily kept me turning pages. It was dark and creepy and exciting, and I loved reading it. It was frustrating but it made me care, and as much as I wanted to toss it across the room, I wouldn't have wanted to stop reading even for the moment it took me to retrieve it. So I consider that a definite success.

That said, as much as I loved reading Gone Girl I was disappointed by the ending. I'm not sure if there's another way things could have gone, or should have gone, but I also wasn't quite content, and even a year later I wish for something a bit more satisfying. In addition to Gone Girl, Flynn has written several other books, and I have heard good things about Dark Objects at least, so when I have that mystery craving in the future, it is definitely one I plan to reach for. In the meantime, if you were to ask me if this book was worth the hype, I would have to answer "almost"-- but I'm glad to have read it regardless.

2 comments:

  1. I am in the minority, half way I was disappointed and read on because it just had to change then that ending, big sigh. Gillian did a good job of getting me angry, I would agree but when I think an author has manipulated the reader I am not happy. I gave it a 3 because of the emotion she made me feel but more like a 2 in my opinion. And I LOVE Psychological Thrillers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this yet. Always mean to, always forget, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!