Sunday, April 22, 2012

Readathon Updates April 2012

For those of you who, like me (until last night) were unaware, today is Dewey's 24 Readathon. I loved my last readathon experience (Dewey back in October), so I really wanted to join, but my lack of planning makes full participation impossible. Still, because I still want to be a part of it, I've got an update post going and hopefully I can spend lots of today reading (or what's left, I had to spend the morning doing errands).

I started reading at approximately 11:50 am, so I'm planning a 12 hour readathon for myself.

Update 1:
Reading: Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (starting point p. 206)

Update 2 (11:50 AM-1:50 PM):
  • I’ve read 40 pages and finished 0 books
  • I’ve read for 2 hours
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (p.206-246)

It doesn't look like I read much cause I also made and ate lunch (twice, I made an avocado egg salad that turned out terrible, and ended up eating Indian leftovers). Hopefully I'll have better news to report by my next update!

Update 3 (1:50 PM-3:15 PM):
  • I’ve read 222 pages and finished 1 book
  • I’ve read for 3 hours and 25 minutes
The Arrival by Shaun Tan (128 Pages)
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (p.246-300)

I cheated! Well sorta. I read a book without any words. It was beautiful though, and a nice break from text. I've got 52 pages left in Code Name Verity so I'll definitely finish that by my next update. I'm having stomach pain though so I'm going to take a break now.

Update 4 (6:05 PM-6:55 PM):
  • I’ve read 274 pages and finished 2 books
  • I’ve read for 4 hours and 15 minutes
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (p.300-352)

Wow, I am kinda failing miserably at this readathon today! I ended up going to the movies with my boyfriend this afternoon (Jeff, Who Lives At Home) which was a nice break and outing but hasn't helped my reading. Anyway, as soon as I got home I buckled down to finish Wein's book... absolutely tragic ending. I'm not a hundred percent sure what I'll read next, I'm thinking The Apothecary by Maile Meloy that I'm about 40 pages into. Until then, happy reading everyone!

Update 5 (8:05 PM-8:55 PM):
  • I’ve read 362 pages and finished 2 books
  • I’ve read for 5 hours and 5 minutes
The Apothecary by Maile Meloy (p.46-134)

Another break, this time to cook and eat supper! But then I devoured a nice chunk of a book, so that has got to compensate a little bit. I've pretty much accepted my participation this time round will not be up to par, but it's still fun keeping this post and seeing how much reading I'm managing anyway.

Update 6 (9:00 PM-11:00 PM):
  • I’ve read 568 pages and finished 2 books
  • I’ve read for 7 hours and 5 minutes
Fallout by Ellen Hopkins (p.1-140)
The Apothecary by Maile Meloy (p.134-210)

Probably my last update for the day although I may read a little more, I'm getting tired and whatnot. Overall, it was a 'real' readathon by any means, but I still managed a decent chunk of reading, even if you exclude the graphic novel without words. Definitely plan to participate again in the future, hopefully with a little more advance notice.

5 comments:

  1. It seems like this spring's Readathon wasn't really publicized too hard. From what I can tell, it caught a lot of people by surprise even though there are still plenty participating. I only signed up to cheerlead last night, so here I am, cheerleading away! LOL. Hope you have a great last-minute 12 hour Readathon! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I feel like it musn't have been as publicized as usual, I was so shocked I'd missed hearing about it.

      Delete
  2. I only heard about it two weeks ago. I'm participating, but, like always, I'm doing a lite version...just can't stay up all night anymore.

    Enjoy! I'd love to have you stop by and say hello. Come by, if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I can't stay up all night either, well I could but it would completely mess with my sleep schedule. So I'm doing a lite version too :) Glad to hear I'm not alone!

      Delete
  3. Wish I had a day to devote to reading. I tried it (2) years ago but found it hard to devote all that time. It just never works out. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!