Saturday, October 22, 2011

Dewey 24 Hour Readathon October 2011: Master Post

So as I said yesterday I'm going to be updating my progress all from one post. It's 8:25 am here now and I'm awake and ready to start reading! Technically the read-a-thon started two and a half hours ago but well, I wasn't getting up quite that early. I figure this is still a pretty good weekend start.

Even though it's technically the third hour of the readathon I figure I'll go ahead and do my introduction post!

Readathon Update 1:

1)Where are you reading from today?
My couch mostly I suspect! Which is located in my apartment in Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada where I live with my wonderful boyfriend while I complete my master's in biology.

2)Three random facts about me…
I'm turning 23 at the end the month, by which I mean I'm a twin born on Halloween.
I have a pet hamster named Rolie. She's cute. Here she is:
I basically stopped reading for four years during my undergrad, and I am so so glad to have found this wonderful online book community and joined back in! 

3)How many books do you have in your TBR pile for the next 24 hours?
Based on my post from yesterday, ten. Of course that is overly optimistic but I think picking and choosing what I am in the mood to read will be key, so I have a nice wide variety selected.

4)Do you have any goals for the read-a-thon (i.e. number of books, number of pages, number of hours, or number of comments on blogs)?
Not really, I'll be happy if I finish at least two books since I'm a third through one already. If I read for four to six hours that'll be a huge improvement over a normal weekend, plus I'm going to shut my laptop while I'm reading and hopefully not get distracted. My biggest problem is the internet! So if I'm updating too often it'll mean I'm not reading.  If you don't see me around for many challenges that's why.

5)If you’re a veteran read-a-thoner, any advice for people doing this for the first time?
This is my first time! Wish me luck! 

Readathon Update 2 (8:42 AM-10:00 AM):
  • I’ve read 80 pages and finished 0 books
  • I’ve read for 1 hour and 18 minutes
I'm just having a little cereal and getting back to reading. I started with Prized by Caragh M. O'Brien and I'm loving it but think I may take a break and start another book. Even my boyfriend has gotten in on the action, I have my own at-home cheerleader. When I went to write my intro post he asked me, aren't you supposed to be reading? Yup, yup I am.

Readathon Update 3 (10:22 AM-11:37 AM):
  • I’ve read 176 pages and finished 0 books
  • I’ve read for 2 hour and 33 minutes
I read another 86 pages of Prized as well as the first 10 pages of Love Alone by Emmanuel Kattan, while sipping lemon ginger tea. Then I needed a shower and now it's noon and I'm planning to get back to Prized, I only have 70 pages left and it's getting intense! Hopefully I'll be able to list my first finished book of the day by the next update. For those of you already on book 3, wow, I'm impressed. Also I believe I have totally abandoned any thesis plans for the day, this is just too much fun! Thanks to the people who have commented to support me :)

Readathon Update 4 (12:22 PM-1:18 PM):
  • I’ve read 246 pages and finished 1 book
  • I’ve read for 3 hour and 29 minutes
Finished Prized! Yay, one book down. I'm just starting two others, Love Alone and also Practical Jean by Trevor Cole. They're both for upcoming book tours and if I can finish at least one today I'd be ecstatic. Anyway back to reading I go!

Readathon Update 5 (1:41 PM-2:34 PM):
  • I’ve read 304 pages and finished 1 book
  • I’ve read for 4 hour and 22 minutes
So I totally had a nap. Maybe it was sitting on the couch all day but I was exhausted. But I figured I'd do an update before I got back to reading. I've mostly been focused on Practical Jean and made a decent dent in that. Anyway it's 3:45 now and I'm happy to have passed the 300 mark, maybe I'll make it to 500 today? I don't really have a specific goal in mind though it would be nice to finish a second book. I need to participate in these more often, so much fun! Thanks to everyone who has stopped by my blog to cheer :)

Readathon Update 6 (3:50 PM-5:10 PM):
  • I’ve read 392 pages and finished 1 book
  • I’ve read for 5 hour and 42 minutes
I read about twenty more pages of Practical Jean before taking a break with something a bit light, the photography book TruthBeauty edited by Alison Nordstrom, there are essays in it but there are also large photographs and it's a gorgeous book to look at (even if I found a typo that is driving me mad!) and enjoyed the first chapter (up to page 64) of that. At least I know if all else fails I should be able to finish that book this evening! At the moment I'm waiting for chicken to defrost so I can cook dinner, so I'll probably do a little more reading then take a break while we eat. I've been snacking all day while reading and I definitely need a proper meal for supper!

Readathon Update 7 (7:17 PM):
  • I’ve read 402 pages and finished 1 book
  • I’ve read for 5 hour and 52 minutes
So I'm done supper (balsamic glazed chicken, corn, mashed potatoes and green beans) and it's back to reading I go! Okay, I also watched Project Runway, during which I read ten more pages (I counted it as ten minutes since I wasn't really reading most of the sixty). However I had to update because a) it's a couple hours later, and b) I passed the 400 mark! It honestly feels like I haven't done that much reading today, maybe because I've only finished one book, but I guess 400 pages is still quite a lot. Since I've decided to take today off from thesis-related things I still have at least 4 hours left which gives me the potential to bring that number up significantly if I don't get distracted. Happy reading everyone!

Readathon Update 8 (7:30 PM-9:00 PM):
  • I’ve read 494 pages and finished 1 book
  • I’ve read for 7 hours and 22 minutes
Just popping in to say I'm back on reading track although getting sleepy. Still switching back and forth between TruthBeauty and Practical Jean- maybe I can finish both today? That's over 200 more pages but I can fantasize....

Final Readathon Update (9:10 PM-11:59 PM):
  • I’ve read 670 pages and finished 2 books
  • I’ve read for 9 hours and 11 minutes
Well I think this readathon is ending at midnight in my time zone since I still have to do lots of thesis writing. I managed to finish two books, Prized and Practical Jean and read over 600 pages. I've also nearly finished TruthBeauty and began Love Alone though I didn't get very far. Overall it was a great day and I'll definitely be participating again! Thank you to everyone who stopped by, and if you were participating in the readathon I hope it went wonderfully for you as well :)

16 comments:

  1. Have an amazing time with your first readathon!! I get really distracted by the internet, too. Good for you for minimizing the distraction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm one of your cheerleaders! I hope you have lots of treats to go with your books. I didn't get to read much of what I wanted during college, either! But since I majored in English, I did read a lot! GO ZOE, GO ZOE, GO ZOE! You're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing great! I'm unofficially cheering today so I'll be by often. If it's as cool and windy in Lethbridge as it is in Edmomton then you have a good day for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The people on their third book are nuts. :)

    Looks like you are doing well! I've found it helps to avoid the computer for long periods of time or I get sucked into looking at everyone's posts, refreshing pages, and tweeting far too much.

    keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CHEERS! I wasn't much of a reader while in college either. Then I set a goal of one book a month and failed! BUt I worked my way up into being a good lil reader and now I finish over 50 every year. I still can't seem to hit that elusive 100.
    Happy READATHON!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing great! And your hamster is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a great readathon. Looks like it is all going well. I wouldn't have got up early either....

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're doing great, keep going! Also, your hamster is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on finishing a book!

    I'm doing in my undergrad right now and it's really hard to balance it and reading for pleasure. I totally understand why you had to stop reading for a while, and I'm happy to hear you've picked it up again.


    Good luck with the rest of your first read-a-thon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are doing so good! I flubbed Uo though - the last few times I was here I was looking for updates at the top instead of scrolling down. Bad me! Lol. I think I need a nap already. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're doing a stellar job for your first read-a-thon! And by now I bet Rolie has gotten in on the bookish action as well...I'm sure her books are stacked just out of our view in that adorable shot. I've been wanting to read Trevor Cole's novels for awhile now. Hope you enjoy that whenever you get to it!
    (Cheering you on from Team Trix!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay, definitely take time out to eat and refresh your brain! You're doing so awesome! Keep it up!

    *\o/*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rolie IS cute! Congrats on reading over 400 pages!!

    Give me an R
    Give me an E
    Give me an A
    Give me a D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy reading! I hope you're having fun. Fellow first timer here :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. oooh! Looked like you had fun during the Read-a-thon, Zoƫ! And you finished 2 books, that's great! Glad to hear we can totally chat about Prized now, too! :D I would've been cheering you on earlier, but I had a bit of a laptop scare....thank goodness for my brother, I thought my poor laptop was doomed! lol Anyway, Good job! :D And next time I'll participate, too. I totally spaced on the Dewey's read-a-thon this time! lol

    And I ♥ Rolie. :D

    Happy Reading!
    Ambur

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!